Posted by: Angie | 2010-05-30

Sick father

my father is 72. He is diabetic. recently he has been very ill. He had a bout of gastric flu followed by very high blood sugar (37mmol). He became very dehydrated. I had been keeping him hydrated and have managed to get the blood sugar down to 13,7. But he is extremely weak after this illness. I am helping to eat, but he only manages very small portions of a few spoons at a time. What can I do to build his strength and stimulate his appetite. I am quite desperate for advice. There are times where is looking stronger then extremely exhausted. He is able to occassionally walk through the house a bit. How long does it take to recouperate from such a serious illness?

It is advisable to have your father admitted to hospital for a few days to control his blood sugar. A reading of 13 is rather high and stands to reason that his glucose is not well controlled. It is also possible that he has electrolyte abnormalities, due to the gastroenteritis, as well as the abnormal glucose readings. If it is not diagnosed and treated correctly, his recouperation can take a very long time.