Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2008/06/05

Sick Building

Having read the article on Sick Building Syndrome I somehow feel I can identify with that and could very well be in a sick building.

Question I have is how does one prove/test this?

Who can one contact with enough expertise and cloud/authority to investigate and resolve this?

Thks

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

The problem is that someone can't actually be diagnosed with the syndrome - there are no tests to prove it. This doesn't mean that it isn't recognised and taken seriously by conventional health bodies like the WHO and the EPA.

Unfortunately, you also can't get a building officially inspected and diagnosed as sick! You can get an environmental/occupational health practitioner to visit and make an inspection - but they will be looking for rather obvious, testable problems...the causes of sick building syndrome are likely to be subtle and multiple.

Your best bet is to enquire of co-workers: Do they have symptoms at work? If they do, form a group and speak to your employer and building manager about making some of the changes I mention towards a 'greener' work environment. There are consultants who can advise you on how to go about this.

I'm going to ask our Workplace Health Expert what his thoughts are on this, and will post his response on the forum.

1
Posted by: Sandra | 2008/06/09

Thank you - I will appreciate more info

Reply to Sandra