Question
Posted by: Maine | 2012/04/03

sick budgie

My budgie started loosing her feathers and not growing any new ones, she has bald patches on her head and body and hasn''t even got tail feathers. She''s breathes heavily/deeply and makes wheezing noises when she breathes and eats. Is there any medicine you can recommend or advise please doc.

Hi Maine

It is difficult to say what the problem is without doing some diagnostic test - skin scrape, blood analysis or x- ray to detect what the problem is. I advise that you need to take your pet to the vet ASAP.

Kind regards

Angs Campbell

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/04/24

Hi Maine

Kind regards

Angs Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2012/04/04

Please ignore ICE. This is something aa avian vet needs to look at IMMEDIATELY.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: ICE | 2012/04/04

Is the budgie in a cage with other birds? If so, especially if she''s the only female with several males, she may be " bullied"  by the other birds plucking her feathers etc. More likely that she''s a bit under the weather. Get a tonic from your local pet shop, provide some greens such as spinach leaves, and keep her warm. Small birds easily die because the cannot regulate their temperature when sick. When one of our canaries is sick, we take the sick one out of the aviary and place it in its own small " hospital"  cage with a infrared lamp shining on her 24 hours (the sick birdie usually enjoys this heat very obviously). This is often enough to help the bird recover.

Reply to ICE