Question
Posted by: Kate | 2011/04/11

Sick

My bf and I will be on leave for the coming long weekend.
He needs to have a procedure done (in doctors rooms) but for which the doctor will be putting him off for about a week if not more.

Our week &  half leave will start from 19th April and I have suggested that he goes to the doctor the week before, the doctor will then put him off work for 4 days which is then followed by his leave, giving him 2 weeks off to heal completely.

Problem is this could/would affect his increase in June. Not forgetting because of the extra 4 days he will be losing his monthly bonus but this is not something we can put over his well being.

Even though he has never taken sick leave this year or last, has been working at this company for 3years and is not even allowed to take his leave this will count against him. His monthly bonus will be taken away and his performance bonus too, all because he has decided to take 4 days sick leave to have this much needed procedure.

Now I told him to just tell them the truth about what he is going to have done, honesty is the best policy but he is a very private person and I understand that. We however both know that this will be held against him but would like to prepare them for not having him there for an extra week so either we going to have to lie about it and just take a doc. Letter and this will just have to be accepted.

What can he do if his boss holds this against him and does not appraise him with his true value within the company because of this and how on earth would he be able to prove this. Where could he go to ask for help regarding labor related issues?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Sick

No one can be prejudiced taking sick leave. Obviously it would be useful if you are able to bear all the medical information with the company so they can assess the necessity for this sick leave.

It would also be useful to obtain a letter from the doctor specifically to the company stating that it was necessary to take that much time off for the recovery.

1
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/04/11

re: Sick

Reply to Labour Lawyer