Posted by: Anxious | 2009-06-15

We went to Cape Town 2nd last week May for about 10 days. The weather was terrible - it rained all the time and was windy and freezing (what' s Cape Town without its lovely wind?!) When we got home my parents got sick - they went to our gp and got antibiotic treatment just before he went away - 04 June. I was couging at the time but didnt feel sick enough at the time to go to him - but by Fri am I was off to his locum - I was coughing all night Thurs with a terrible phlegm cough. He said I had very bad phlegm on my chest, a red throat and congested ears. I got a Celestone-Soluspan inj, Orolox, interflora and Loratadine. I have coughed my lungs out all the past week, distressing me especially at night. My gp was back today, so I went straight away, as I am no better. He said I still had very bad phlegm on my chest - now have Ketek, Pulmison 20mg for 5 days and Mucospect. Had a blood test. Have to phone Wed for results and go back Thurs for check-up. My question is - he seemed convinced I had mycoplasma infection, as my mom seems to have. My blood tests were CRP, blood count and Mycoplasma test. When I phoned him this pm about something else, he said my blood count was normal?! Isnt this a bid odd, i.e. if I am this sick wouldn' t the levels be up - even if only a bit? Dont know other results yet - will get them Wed.

Thanks for the help.

PS Sorry I don' t like your new site - old one was much nicer!

Dear Anxious
I also like the old site more...but the IT boffins is in charge here and I am IT-challenged so who am I to critizise!
Blood count can be fairly normal with a upper respiratory infection and if you did not react to the Orelox the chances that you picked up a Mycoplasma infection is possible. The Pulmison should help though. Maybe you should also steam yourself a bit to loosen the phlegm and keep your airways moist.