Question
Posted by: Shani | 2011-09-20

Sibling Rivalry

My 2 daughters aged 15 and 7 seem to always be at each others throats. They seem to despise each other. I talk to them about their constant bickering and the older one keeps saying that she will try be nicer but that the 7yr old irritates her. Will this ever improve or do their personalities clash or is it the age gap? There is no favouritism in the house. I have another daughter 18yrs old and a younger one of 5. Don''t have this problem with the other children.

Sometimes a teenager can be so immature in their actions. But this sort of sibling rivalry and mutual unpleasantness isn't at all uncommon (see what our regular readers have to add on this !)
<br/>Have a calm chat with the older one, reminding her that she is becoming an adult, and one doesn't always have to accept the younger one's invitation to be irritated.
<br/>Its not about the age gap as such, and will end. When they're 85 and 77, they might even be pals !

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011-09-20

My boys are exactly the same - sometimes it can drive me around the bend. Should anyone pick on one of them however, they stand together and defend each other.

I still remember fighting with my own siblings too (I''ve got 4). But now that we''re all out of the house, we''re quite close. If anyone needs help, the others are quick to jump in...

Sometimes siblings might love each other, but they don''t like each other...

Reply to Liza