Posted by: Dee | 2008-11-05

Sib Husky with sore ear

Hi Doc, my Husky has been shaking his head and scatching his ear for the past few days and when I looked into his ear, I found it encrusted with either dry blood or wax. I' m taking him to the SPCA on saturday but in the meantime am putting drops of sweet oil in his ear, is this ok?
And what do you think it can be?
Thank you.

Dear Dee

Ear infection. Best to take him to a vet for an exam

Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-06

BActeria get in there sometimes, and mites - it' s an ideal breeding ground for them, being warm and moist. Can happen to anyone, and apart from gently cleaning the ears now and then, there' s not a lot you can do to prevent it really.

Also: follow your vet' s advice until the problem is completely resolved. If you stop treatment too early, you' re setting yourself up for a chronic problem.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Dee | 2008-11-06

Thank you for advice, will take him. Just as a matter of interest, any suggestions on how this could have happened?

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Chil | 2008-11-05

Probably earmites.

Go to your nearest vet and ask for something to put in the dog' s ears - you get a bottle with a nozzle, it costs around R40 or so, and it has instructions on it. That' s better than the oil.

Reply to Chil