Posted by: JAJA | 2009-01-28

5 years ago I had a ventricular peritoneal shunt inserted - I am a 43 years old femaile all has been fine and I feel great and am no longer on medication I spin 2x a week and do a toning class 1x a week - and walk every other day so fairly active, slim and fit

Can I do a power plate class at gym - my neurosurgeon says I should try and if I feel funny then stop - but I dont want to risk this. Do you know whether anyone else has been able to use the powerplate with no problems My neurosurgeon reckons that it is placed inside tightly but the people at my gym are unsure about the safety

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated as I would love to add this to my trainig

hI Jaja

Good question

The answer is we don't know. The Powerplate is so new, and so under-researched that we simply don't know whether its dangerous. In that regard, your surgeon's advice is the correct one - you kind of just have to see and if you feel the slightest discomfort, stop. But there's not a single study. There are some studies thave have suggested that patients with cardiovascular problems should avoid use, and especially pacemakers. But they're all theoretical, not proven.

So I'm in the same camp as your surgeon here.

Posted by: jaja | 2009-01-31

Thanks for your response - perhaps I will try and will let you know how it goes in case other people ask

Reply to jaja