Question
Posted by: very-very-scared | 2009-05-05

Sh*tting myself, literally.

Rather embarrassing problem. I go to an anxiety support group, and get very nervous beforehand. Cold hands, feeling nauseous, shaky, can' t swallow, cramps etc. Usually I spend a fair bit of time in the bathroom before I go. The last time, I got to the place where the group is held, but couldn' t make it to the bathroom on time. I mean, it was only ten seconds away, but no way I could make it. The group helps, but now i' m too scared to go back. i know that many other people have had this experience and although it helps to know that i' m not alone, i honestly do not want to repeat this. should i just phone and say that the nervousness of coming is making it impossible? i have lots of over-the-counter anti-anxiety stuff but it doesn' t do anything. and there isn' t going to be time to get a psychiatrist appointment before the next group, in the case of needing something prescribed.

the thing is, i was no more nervous than usual. i just didn' t time everything exactly right. how can i know it won' t happen again?

Gosh, it's a shame if your Anxiety Support group makes you anxious ! Have you discussed this with them ? How do other members handle this nervousness ? Such social anxiety responds well to treatment, and though I support the value of support groups, they are no substitute for competent treatment, which should in your case probably include CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and possibly some medication.
As for reducing the tendency towards nervous diarrhoea, an over-the-counter remedy I find often works was called Chamberlain's Colic Mixture ( I think they have recently changed the name for complex and silly reasons ) ; a bright orange liquid, where you have a little in some warm water a few hours earlier, and it tends to calm and soothe the raging guts