Question
Posted by: Unsure | 2008/07/09

Shrink Fallout

Only looking for advice on shrink please, the other stuff I'll deal with.

I have been seeing a shrink for the last month which I know isn't long and today's session was just horrible. She wanted to admit me onto a ward because she says I'm not looking after myself. I told her that I cut myself today and she could smell last night's booze. She went off on a tanget and didn't really grasp what I was trying to tell her. I know I am depressed and that is why I decided to see her but I indirectly told her I didn't want to see her again. I know my situation isn't life threatening. I won't kill myself.

Does she have the right to contact a family member? Even though she is a professional, she doesn't know me or my situation (she might have the theory, yes) - and I assure you, I am not a threat to myself or anyone else.

Presumably you either didn't make yourself clear about that, or she didn't believe that you would be no danger to yourself, and felt it would be safest for you to spend some days as an inpatient. I'm very pleased to hear that you are sure you won't harm yourself.
Within a month, even within a single session, a shrink or other doctor might be assumed to be capable of forming a reasonably accurate assessment of your potential for self-harm, even if in fact there are many relevant aspects of that which she might not yet know.
Theoretically, if she felt certain ( not merely some suspicion ) that you were a significant risk to yourself or others, she might seek a compulsory admission, but that is complex to arrange and most shrinks would rather avoid it if possible. One way of doing that would be to add to an application to court the signatire and request of a family member who knows you well and is also alarmed at the degree of risk to yourself or others. If there is no such family member, she can't go that route ; and she would probably have tried harder to persuade you at the time, and/or to have acted soon afterwards.
It would be advisable, for your own sake, to try to see another shrink who you feel more comfortable with, as soon as posible, though I understand that it can be hard to get an early appointment with most of my colleagues

1
Posted by: G | 2008/07/09

i am no expert, but i should think that he/she certianly has no right to contact your family .... officials maybe, if he/she thinks you are a definite threat to yourself or others.

Find someone you can trust & get their help in making you better - you deserve it ... there is a life beyond cutting yourself ... & you can be happy....

Reply to G