Question
Posted by: lolly | 2008/09/01

Shrink

I was wondering if you could assist me, Iam looking for a therapist with the strong ability to deal with adults who have been damaged emotionaly by childhood oral abuse (not physical), Im hoping to find some who has hypnotic treatment too as we know this helps.
I reside in the Bryanston/ Fourways areas of North JHB

I tried responding to this yesterday morning, mefore the forum was closed, but for some reason the system wouldn't accept my comment. Lets see if I can remember it !
Do NOT seek a therapist who specializes in people who are concerned about having been abused in some way as a child. Too many of them are obsessed with their own issues, and insist on using methods which can be damaging. ANY good general psychotherapist, especially one uising CBT methods, is likely to be able to help. Remember that therapists who play prolonged games of Archeology, digging tirelessly into the past, do NOT help people -- what matters now is what effects you are experiencing in your current life, probably including some unhelpful habits of action and thought, and how to change them to more valid and helpful conclusions.
And do not even momentarily think of hypnosis in such a situation, as it almost always does harm, sometimes severe harm, and no competent expert would recommend it in such circumstances. We do NOT know that it helps, and only people selling hypnosis would say that it does.
For ood general therapists, the Anxiety/Depression support group should be able to help, and perhaps FAMSA

1
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2008/09/03

Hi lolly

Too each his/her own, I guess. CS believes explicitly &  exclusively in CBT, which can apparently can cure everybody of everything. Those of us in actual practice know that, whilst CBT can be a very powerful therapeutic method, it can &  does fail &  that not all patients respond well to it. Exactly the same can be said for hypnosis. Research shows that the expectations of a patient, together with the quality of the therapeutic relationship tend to have a far more significant effect on the outcome of therapy than the therapeutic modality used. Bottom line - if you believe that hypnosis will help you, it is likely that it will, especially if you find a therapist you relate to well.

For a referral to a properly qualified &  registered psychologist or medical practitioner who is also appropriately trained in clinical hypnosis, you can contact the SA Society of Clinical Hypnosis.

Verbal abuse in childhood can be extremely damaging, often more so than physical abuse. The bruises on the body fade, but those on the soul tend to be far longer lasting. Whilst CBT can be helpful here, so can hypnosis, which really does not involve " prolonged games of Archeology, digging tirelessly into the past" . CS, unfortunately, seems to have very little knowledge of the techniques of modern clinical hypnosis and seems to be unable to differentiate these from the techniques of classical psychoanalysis, which is something else entirely. Where regressions are utilized in hypnosis, these are targeted &  intended to either release emotions that have got stuck because of the abuse, or else to access information needed to be able to reconsider &  change unproductive &  damaging belief systems &  response patterns. Modern clinical hypnotherapy makes significant use of CBT techniques in this regard.

Where CS gets the idea from that hypnosis in cases such as yours " almost always does harm, sometimes severe harm, and no competent expert would recommend it" , no one but him knows! The German Society of Clinical Hypnosis, for example, has over 8 000 members, all of whom are properly qualified &  registered psychologists or medical practitioners. I' m sure at least one of them must be a " competent expert!" . A therapeutic approach that does " severe harm"  will very quickly fall out of favour, not the least because the vast majority of therapists rely on word-of-mouth referrals. If an approach has harms you, would you refer anyone? Practitioners who make use of ineffective or harmful approaches simply go out of business.Yet practitioners utilizing hypnosis in their practices tend to have very busy diaries!

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych