Posted by: Shouldering | 2008-11-08

Shoulders and swimming

Hi dic, I hav found that swimming laps is a really fun and great workout I love it, but I am afraid that I will develope broad shoulders? I am 23 years old, female, 1.65m. If I swim freestyle 50 laps a day will this just tone my shoulders or will it make them out of proportionally broad? Also I do not swim with my head in the water when I freestyle, is this really bad for my neck?

thanx doc, appreciate it

I doubt that you will - a lot depends on the person, because some people tend to develop muscle much more than others. however, that appearance that you see in swimmers at the Olympcis is the result of many hours of training, and hard training, at that, and I don't think you'll be doing that kind of volume. Therefore, you should just tone, without becoming hugely muscular.

As for the head, I'm not 100% sure. I suspect it might be a bit difficult, but you'll have to see how you go. You might find that it's no problem, but you start developing neck problems and pain, then you will need to assess, and maybe change. But you'll know, so let the symptom guide you.

Posted by: Shouldering | 2008-11-08

I am so sorry!!! That was suppose to be ' doc'  not ' dic' ....sorry!!!

Reply to Shouldering