Question
Posted by: DoubleD | 2010/10/04

shoulder surgery prognosis

When one has had arthroscopic surgery to repair a rotator cuff from a sports injury, what is the normal medium/long term prognosis? Will my shoulder always be ''compromised'' and I should have an expectation that it will require further revision surgery as I get older?
I have read conclusions of in vivo and ex vivo investigations and they found poorer early outcomes, a lower shoulder functional score 1-year after repair, and a higher rate of repeat surgery in patients who had their rotator cuff repaired with a bioabsorbable screw than in patients who had their shoulders repaired with a standard metal suture anchor.
How will I know what materials were used in my repair as I am no longer in contact with the surgeon who performed the repair–  or can I check my account submitted to medical aid to see and what codes would I be looking for?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Double D,

if the appropriate surgery was done by an experienced shoulder surgeon the rotator cuff heals perfectly in most cases and there should not be longterm problems. The type of anchor does not play such a signicant role although I agree that we prefer metal anchors. Also, once the tendon has healed you should not be compromiseg in any way.

What is more important for you than finding out what type of anchors were used is to be examined to see why you are stil "compromised"

You may look at our website : http://www.shoulderinstitute.co.za/rotator_cuff_tears.php

for further information

Dr Joe de Beer

Another very important factor is if the surgeon found and addressed all the problems in your shoulder when doing the arthroscopy.

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/10/17

Dear Double D,

for further information

Dr Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum