Question
Posted by: Nathan E. | 2008/08/22

Shoulder pains when sleeping.

hi doc,

i have a problem sleeping on my right shoulder...after a while (half an hour or so), i feel pain and have to lie on my left shoulder, or on my stomach. i play squash and other sports and sometimes i lift wieghts, and dont feel discomfort during sports.

what could be causing this? solution?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Nathan,

Pain caused by lying on a specific shoulder is not uncommon. It may due to any problem which causes inflammation in the shoulder:
- impingement of the rotator cuff tendon
- calcific tendinitis of the tendon
-arthritis of the shoulder joint
-arthritis of the "AC" joint which is the Acromio-clavicular joint

you may look at our website : www.shoulderinstitute.co.za , "Shoulder Problems" and look up the condtions as listed above. You will find a complete description of each of them.

A good place to start to have your problem sorted out is to see your doctor and have an X-ray done. Most of the above-mentioned problems can be diagnosed to some degree by examining you and looking at the X-ray

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer