Posted by: Paul | 2009-04-14

Shoulder pain within the corocoid proces

Good day Doc
I am experiencing shoulder pain it feels like its in the gap of the corocoid process. This only happens if I lie back and put my hands behind my neck or if I lie on my shoulder and when I move back or stand up etc I get a pain and then my anterior deltoit goes numb. I figure that a nerve might be being pinshed. Could this be the case and what do you suggest for me to resolve this. PS. This all started from playing rugby and taking hard knocks on my shoulder when tackling.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Paul,

The coracoid process is situated in the gap between the deltoid and pec major. Pain in that region may have various causes, including a nerve compression, damage to the coracoid itself, and even biceps tendon pathology as the biceps is closely related to that area. I will not be able to advise you on what to do until one has a definite diagnosis after examination and at least X-rays. So you should see an orthopedic surgeon first.

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer