Posted by: Coral | 2009-01-14

Shoulder pain from using computer

I have changed my office chair and now for the first time am experiencing pain in my right shoulder and upper arm when using my keyboard. The position of my mouse has not changed in any way. The day I changed my typing chair the pain started. The chair is exactly the same the standard typists chair but obviously I have had to guess the height of my previous chair when I set the height of the new chair.

My left arm is unaffected. So obviously some strain on the arm due to using the arm maybe. Is my chair too high or too low?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Coral,

if the pain comes from your neck the height of the chair could be the problem. if the chair is too low it would lead to chronic extension of the neck with nerve compression. One should also consider a cause in your shoulder itself and a physio or orthopedic sugeon should examine you to determine the cause of your pain

Dr Joe de Beer