Posted by: Trickster | 2009-07-24

Shoulder pain at night

I had this pain for a couple of months now. I gets worse at night when I am lying on my left shoulder. I took x-ray of the shoulder and was informed that there was small cysts in the joint. Is this a delicate operation or can it be fixed without an operation?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Julius,

"small cysts in the joint" are rather non-specific. Are they in the Acromio-clavicular joint, the main (gleno-humeral) shoulder joint or on the top of the ball (humeral head)?. You see cysts are not a problem themselves always but the fact that they may be in reacton to a problem, e.g. cysts in the AC joint are not significant themselves but may indicate arthritis in teh joint and then the arthritiis has to be addressed and not the cysts. You must have a specialist have a look at the X-ray and give you an opinion

Dr Joe de Beer

P.S. if you have an elecrtronice version of the X-ray you are welcome to send it to us for an opinion ( you may see our addresses on the website: