Posted by: Claire | 2009-07-10

Shoulder pain and arm and hand weakness

My husband is suffering with the above symptoms and is currently being treated by a CHiropractor. He suffered from Schulman' s disease as a teenager, and was involved in a car accident where he suffered from severe whiplash about 15 years ago which was not properly treated. The realignment seems to help a bit, but I am very concerned about the loss of strength that he is currently experiencing and that permanent nerve damage may be caused. I have suggested he see a neurologist but he is reluctant. Please could you give me some advise.
Many thanks.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Claire,

I agree that the most likely cause of the problem is a nerve compression in the cervical area (neck). If he has weakness it should defintely be evaluated as soon as possible. i agree with you that permanent nerve damage should be guarded against a consultation with a neurologist is the first step

Good luck getting him to look after himself,

Dr Joe de Beer