Posted by: Debby | 2012-05-02

Shoulder pain

Hi Doc,

I have been battling with pain in my left shoulder and arm for sometime now. At first it was a dull ache in my upper arm muscle, which then started “ radiating”  down my arm and then my hand would go numb. When that happened I visited a chiropractor and after re aligning my spine the numbness and ache stopped.

Its been 3 weeks now, and the pain has retuned –  but it is different this time. It feels more like an “ inflamed”  burning sensation in my left shoulder joint as well as my shoulder blade and upper arm muscle. It doesn’ t feel like tense muscles or carple tunnel…  it really feels like an “ inflammed’  ache…  if that explains it… 

As I am left handed I am finding it hard to ignore the pain any more. The pain is keeping me awake at night, as it seems to get worse when I lie down. I cannot lie on my left side at all anymore, its too painful. The most comfortable position seems to be on my stomach (where my shoulder kind of falls forward) with my arm folded underneath me –  but being a rather large chested woman –  it is too uncomfortable to lie on my stomach for long… 

I have tried taking Mybulen and Norflex to lessen the ache –  but doesn’ t seem to help much.

I am not sure if I should make an appointment with my Chiropractor or GP, or a specialist in this field –  or though I suppose my GP will refer me if he thinks its necessary?

Thanks for your time!

I do suggest that you consult your GP for an examination and x-rays of your shoulder and cervical spine. An ultrasound can also be useful to pick up any injury to muscles and tendons. In the interim, you can use Myprodol capsules in combination with Robaxin to alleviate the pain. This is available over the counter.