Posted by: Paul Herron | 2009-12-04

shoulder pain

I am a retired bodybuilder. I started having probs with the right shoulder and was diagnosed with swollen ac joints in both shoulders. I carried on competing for a couple of seasons an kept having injections into the joints every 6 months or so. what I would like to know is if there has been any new breakthroughs with regards to my ailment.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Paul,

degeneration of the AC joints are well known in weight lifters- in fact one variant of this problem is referred to as " weightlifter's shoulder". Another problem encountered in weightlifers is osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint (glenohumeral joint). Addressing the painful AC joint is not a big problem and can usually be managed with a relatively small operation using an arthroscope ( "key hole surgery") . You may look at our website at and specifically at AC (acromioclavicular joint) problems as well as osteoarthitis. If you suffer from AC joint problems , the outcome of such a surgical procedure is usually very successful

Dr Joe de Beer