Posted by: Gman | 2009-10-05

Shoulder pain

Dear Doc,

I have had terrible shoulder pain ver the past month to the extent that when I gym I cannot lift weights when focusing on my shoulders.
At first I thought that the pain was caused by me sleeping on my arm, however I have made a concentrated efort to avoid sleeping this way, but the pain continues. I doubt the pain is caused by lifting heavy weights as I have not yet gotten to the stage where the weights in any other disciplines...chest, arms etc are considered too heavy.
The pain is directly under my shoulder blades and is proving to be a real menace when lifting things on a daily basis.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Gman,

if you pain is located under the shoulder blades it is unlikely to be due to a problem in the shoulder joints itself. The causes of scapuler pain are :
- problem in the thoracic spine
-pain referred from the "facet" joints of the neck
-bony prominences on the deep side of the shoulder blade ("osteochondroma")
-bursitis of the large bursa between the scapula and the ribs

From the above it is evident that there are many causes: you should be examined by a specialist, the diagnosis confirmed adn appropriate treatment done

Dr Joe de Beer

Posted by: kolezie longwe | 2009-11-21

i have had a shoulder pains for nearly 4 months ta started with right one but now has spread to the other left hand the pains are at the joints connecting to the neck they are now so severe that am spmetimes failing to wear clothes on my own.

Reply to kolezie longwe
Posted by: Riaan Labuschagne | 2009-11-05

My son has been diagnosed with osteochondroom and i would like to know more abour this. Can you send information to me about this. His shoulder showed an bump but without pain and we took him for a MR scan. Now they want to operate.

Reply to Riaan Labuschagne