Question
Posted by: Gene | 2009/09/03

Shoulder pain

I injured my shoulder 3 weeks ago. Voltaren didn' t help, and 2 physio sessions (one needle therapy) has done nothing. It is painful to move my arm too far forward, and I can' t lift it very high to the side. My physio recommends I go for a sonar to check if the muscle is torn. If so, is surgery the only way to repair it? thanks

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Gene,

Your physio is correct in that a tear of the rotator cuff should be excluded. If there is a definite tear it should be repaired. Look at our website for more info: www.shoulderinstitute.co.za adn then under "shoulder Problems" and "Rotator cuff tears"

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer