Question
Posted by: Mary | 2008/09/29

Shoulder pain

I have been suffering with pain in my shoulder (top right down to the blade) since Tuesday last week. I think I may have injured it when I carried heavy shopping on the Monday and the bag broke. I also have Cervical spondylosis. Not sure if thi is adding to the probem. It is painful most of the time but is excrutiating when I sleep at night. I tend to lie on that side when I sleep. This morning when I got up I accidently leaned onto the shoulder and after a sharp pain felt a popping sound. I am still quite tender and am trying not to use the arm too much. Can you tell me what might be wrong and how should I treat it. I do dancing which is quite vigorous on the shoulders.

Dear Mary
The popping sound worries me as this could be a sign of an injured (torn) tendon in the shoulder - rather let your doctor have a look as you don't want to end up with a stiff shoulder if you are a dancer!