Posted by: Hendrick | 2009-10-07

Shoulder operation

I dislocated my right shoulder in March last year. The shoulder was dislocated and a chip was broken off the ball of the shoulder at the top. I went for an operation at Nelspruit Medi-Clinic, where the doctor put a screw in my shoulder to re-attach the chip that was broken off.

After the operation the doctor told me that i should wait 2 weeks and go and see a therapist. At no stage did he tell me to come back to have the screw removed.

It is now more than a year on and my shoulder is paining something awfull.

My shoulder abduction is virtually non-existant and the shoulder " clicks"  when moved in certain ways

Is this normal?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Hendrick,

it is certainly not normal. The doctor should have followed you up on a regular basis, taken follow-up X-rays and treated you accordingly for any complications. If you are suffering to that degree, you could see the doctor again or see another specialist. You may also send us the X-rays to have a look at and advise you

You may look at our website : and see under "Shoulder Instability " for some information about shoulder dislocations,

Best regards,

Dr Joe de Beer