Posted by: abba | 2010-08-25

shoulder never comes right

I have a permanent condition in which my shoulders are often stiff and my right biceps is often painful when I move it. Sometimes I''ll be fine one day and the next day I wake up all gummed up and sore. My GP suggested it is due to the fact that where the nerves come out of my upper spine the channels are very narrow and that I should do basic neck stretching exercises side to side up and down every day. But it is only my right biceps. Sometimes the pain is also in my forearm. It is painful to initiate any movement, forwards, outwards or backwards, and the movement backwards especially is limited. Today for example, the only comfortable position is to hug my arm against my side as if it were in a sling and even typing on the computer hurts my biceps right at the top, in front of my shoulder. I am also very stiff and painful to pressure all around my shoulder blade at the back. This condition is gradually worsening and soon I won''t be able to brush my hair or hang up washing. Today I hung up washing by lifting my right arm up to the line with my left hand. I don''t know what to do about this. It''s a real problem.I am 59.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear abba,

You may have a tear of your rotator cuff tendon in the shoulder. Look at our website ( ) and specifically at "Rotator cuff tears" - you will get more information there. The person to see would be an orthopedic surgeon with an interest in shoulder problems