Posted by: GUY THING | 2009-04-29

shoulder joint replacement.

to the shoulder exp. please tell me if one has had a shoulder ball joint replacement [ titanium] and Ive started doing weight training again how detrimental is it as far as shoulder durability is concerned.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

DEar Guy Thing,

if you have shoulder arthritis the choice of which operation to do is a very important decision. It depends on your age and what activities you intend doing. I would not normally advise weight training after the insertion of a shoulder prosthesis, specifically bench press places a high load on the shoulder. In younger patients one would also be reluctant to insert a full shoulder replacement as there is a risk of the glenoid (socket) component loosening and in such younger and more active individuals replacing only the ball (humeral head) is usually favoured. We also do an arthroscopic insertion of a membrane for younger patients. You may have a look at our website ( and specifically "osteoarthiritis " of more information , if you want to communicate directly concerning the problem you may also post questions to our site

Dr Joe de Beer