Question
Posted by: Smiley | 2010/06/02

Shoulder injury

About 6 months ago I injured my shoulder during sport. I fell down and stuck out my arm to stop my fall and I felt a sensation of the shoulder almost " popping out of joint"  and then popping back in. It was quite painful for a long time afterwards. Foolishly I never had it seen to. Now when I find that I have slept on that side for a long period at night I wake up with pain in the shoulder and sometimes it just gets sore during the day as well. When I move my arm it feels as if the movement in my shoulder is not smooth. Is it too late to have this seen to now, at this late stage? Would a visit to my GP be of any benefit at all?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

What you experienced was a shoulder subluxation, the shoulder went partly out and back in. In a situation like that there is often damage to the labrum and ligaments stabilising the head of the humerus. You may read more on this subject in our website www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and look at "Shoulder Instability". A GP will not be able to help you , you will have to see an orthopedic specialist with some knowledge of shoulder problems.
It is not too late to have it seen to

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/06/06

It is not too late to have it seen to

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum