Question
Posted by: Alan | 2009-03-23

Shoulder Cuff/AC Joint/Bursitus injury

I hurt a shoulder swimming the Midmar mile. Above diagnosis according to a Sports Doc. I have had 2x Cortisone injections into shoulder (in 2 places), plus has 3 sessions of Cataflam, each for 5 days. I have been having physiotherapy (Approx 20 hours to date), and only do mild exercises that cause no pain, as given by physio. Very little improvement in shoulder (6+ weeks now). Any suggestions what else I can try?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Alan,

it is has been 10 days since your question and I hope you are improving. The diagosis of "Shoulder Cuff/AC Joint/Bursitus injury" cannot be correct as that covers all the structues on the top of the shoulder and the likelihood of injuring all 3 structures at once are remote to say the least. The other thing to consider is that for cortisone injections to be effective they have to be accurately administered into the correct spaces around the shoulder. It seems that you are not improving in spite of time, injections and physio. I would suggest that you see an orthopedic shoulder specialist to establish the diagnosis and suggest the correct treatment. You may find our website www.shoulderinstiute.co.za interesting and look at "Shoulder Problems" and then "Shouder Pain"

Before i could make suggestion about the dagnosis I would have to know more about the problem:
- your age
-where exactly do you feel the pain?
-did it start during the swim or afterwards?
-what movements of your arm aggravates the pain?
-do you have pain at rest and/or night pain?

Regards.

Dr Joe de Beer