Question
Posted by: linros | 2009-01-05

Shoulder bursitis - 8 yrs later

Hi Doc.
I' m a 28 year old female and I had shoulder bursitis in my right shoulder due to a repetitive strain injury at work (desk job - reception) 8 years ago.
I was in physio for 3 months after which I was able to use my shoulder again without pain and it seemed fine.
However, I still experience some minor pain on the outside of my arm/ on top of the shoulder when doing exercise (i.e. pilates &  gymming with weights) as soon as I lift my shoulder higher than parallel to the ground. The shoulder also " clicks"  every single deal if I roll my shoulder or am turning the steering wheel whilst driving.

I was wondering - is this " normal"  for someone who had this type of injury? I haven' t experienced much pain that made me want to get pain tablets or go to the doctor...

Thanks!

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear linros,

if the diagnosis of "bursitis" was made one has to ask whose diagnosis it was- a knowledgeable professional? Bursitis is quite a vague term and one has to take into account that there are other causes of shoulder pain. with the symptoms you are describing the diagnosis of rotator cuff impingement, acromioclavicular (AC) joint problems and others are also possibilties. if you look at the section "shoulder pain" on our website you will find a list of possibe problems with their individual characteristics. See: www.shoulderinstititute.co.za, " Shoulder Problems"
and then "shoulder pain". Mere clicking without pain is not of any significance. Have a look at the site and you are welcome to post more quesions on this or our mentioned site

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer