Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2009-03-16

Shoulder and neck muscle spasm problem

i suffer from terrible muscle spasms around my shoulder blades, top shoulders and into my neck. these spasms cause headaches and often migraines. i have been for quite a few physio sessions and it relieves, but always just returns. im currently going for body stress release sessions and the headaches are gone, but the muscle pain in my upper back (should blades) and top shoulders are so bad that it wakes me up at night. Is there an expert in Gauteng i could go see as the recurrence of this has been going on for years and i cant anymore.

Dear Michelle
Ask your doctor to try a low ( children's) dose of Tryptanol at night for you for a few weeks. I am not aware of an expert in this specific problem in Gauteng but an orthopedic specialist may also be able to help.

3

I suffer of the same ' ailment'  and would like to know what exactly an orthopedic surgeon can do about it. I also go to physio on a regula basis, but as you say, it is just a temp fix ... I feel so terrible this morning I can cry .... are they any other suggestions or help?
is anybody out there who could possibly shed some light on this terrible ailmlent.

Posted by: Lolly | 2009-03-18

Hi guys,

I have the same problem as well. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night in terrible pain &  have no option but to run for the myprodols.

My gp also suggested I see an orthopedic surgeon. haven' t done so yet.

Reply to Lolly
Posted by: craig | 2009-03-16

Hi Michelle

Sorry about the back and neck spasms, I suffer from the same thing. It gets so unbearable it effects my daily activities.

I have also been going to physio, however I find this only a temp fix. Other methods I find work is a hot pillow placed behind by head and over the shoulders. Once again only a temp fix.

From what I have been told it is either due to bad posture, or stress.

Maybe if we put our minds together and keep each other informed of progress we can come to a solution.

Hope you feel well soon

Craig

Reply to craig