Question
Posted by: naju | 2008/09/23

Shoulder and knee pain

We had an accident about two years ago,where I was pulled back by the seat belt and also hit my right knee against the front
of the dash board.I now suffer with terrible pain in both my shoulder and knee.

I have had x rays taken and told there is nothing wrong,but have constant pain?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Naju,
concerning your knee: if the knee was hit against the dashboard a normal X-ray does not mean that there is nothing wrong with the knee- it only indicates that you sustained no fracture. likely injuries with that type of force are cartilage injury on the posterior surface of the knee cap and even a tear of the posterior cruciate ligament of the knee. you should see a knee speciaist to examine you and give you a diagnosis.

A seatbelt injury of the shoulders can be due to a whiplash of the neck with referred pain into the shoulders ( but admittedly you made no metion of any pain in your neck) or bruising of the brachial plexus which are the large nerves above the collar bone and which supply the shoulder and arm. Again i have to tell you that an X-ray would not reveal such an injury and you will need to be examined by an expert. You may have a look at our website : www.shoulderinstitute.com and click on "shouder Problems" and then on " Thoracic Outlet Syndrome " to see more about the type of nerve injury I am referring to

Best regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: annieorq | 2009/01/06

I have had constant numb pain in my left shoulder for long time, this happened after I had a car accident, they didn' t find anything wrong at that time but it is really difficult to do my daily activities now because sometimes the pain gets acute and even more when I take a deep breath it really hurts in the top of my shoulder. I don' t know what to do the other I couldn' t move at all because of the pain and in the hospital they just gave something for the pain but no x-rays or anything.

Reply to annieorq