Question
Posted by: blossom | 2009/01/19

shoulder and hip pain

good day. when i sleep on my side at night i suffer with throbbing shoulder and hip pain on both sides. i cannot sleep on my back. i am 52, do regular exercise, take calcium and omega oil supplements and watch my diet. as i am not on medical aid can you advise me what to do? i have tried anti inflams which sometimes help.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Blossom
It does sound as if you have a bit of osteo-arthritis in those joints. If this gets worse, you should rather consult a rheumatologist. Anti-inflammatories will give some relief and stretching exercises like Pilates may also help in protecting the joints. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things anyway.