Question
Posted by: EMW | 2008/08/28

Shoulder and Arm pain

I have been experiencing severe pain in my right shoulder and arm since Tuesday morning. I also have pins &  needles in my thumb and indexfinger. The pain seems to originate at my right shoulder blade. I thought it could be from sleeping wrong but the pain has not subsided since. Pain tablets heve little or no effect and i' m getting little sleep at night. Should I be concerned?

Expert ImageArchive

Hello,
You need to see your local osteopath asap. For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com to get to the root cause of the problem. Any neurological symptom is of concern and needs proper attention.
In the meantime ensure a good sleeping posture by ensure your neck is in a neutral position. Maitain a good work posture. Don't slump and sit supported.
Try taking a hot soak in the bath or try putting a hot water bottle between your shoulder blades.
Keep properly hydrated with water. Avoid caffiene.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath