Question
Posted by: Mitch | 2008/09/15

Shoulder

I had my shoulder operated on about a year and a half ago i had my rotator cuff torn front and back from rugby i had physio done. I just started playuing cricket again now but cant throw hard or distances at all. That whole whip action hurts alot will it get better over time or what? thanks

HI Mitch

You'd have to be careful, obviously, because all the muscles and supportive structures of the shoulder would have weakened during the time of rehab from the injury and operation. To throw a ball is a huge strain on the shoulder, and so weak muscles are quickly exposed. I hate to send you back for more physio, and perhaps it's not so much physio as strength work, but I think it's important to just start on some kind of strengthening programme, and gradually restore strength for throwing. You must remember that the rehab they did after surgery is to get normal function back, and throwing a cricket ball is anything but normal - it's a huge demand. So maybe consider going back for some assistance, and get your shoulder strength up.