Question
Posted by: Sam | 2011/03/23

Should we kee pitbull for a month? Is it safe

Hi. I had a terrible experience when I was younger, with our pit-bull constantly attacking my other dog which was very submissive. We now have a female Boerbull (just over 1 year old), and a friend of ours who lives in the same complex as us has asked my husband if we can look after his male Pit-bull for a month. my concerns are 1) this is the females home (territory) will the male try to dominate her. 2) Do male Pits attack female dogs 3) I''m cautious of pit-bulls and I''m pregnant, will he attack me? I also work form home, so I''m going to be stuck here with this animal all day. - Please help. Am I just being paranoid due to my past experience.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sam, firstly, good luck with the new addition! No, i do not believe you are beint paranoid in any way and personally, it is a situation i would not consider unless the dogs had, had regular contact right from the beginning and even then you will be bringing a dog into 'her' territory and your own stress levels will be higher as you will be worrying about any interactions and wont do you, the dogs or your unborn baby any good. They are not breeds that get on well together and your neighbour would be well advised to rather put the dog in a good boarding kennel while he is away. Hope this helps and good luck with your baby! Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/03/25

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert