Posted by: Sue | 2009-02-06

Should she stay?

I have a daughter who will be three in April. She' s been at a creche since she was 4 months old and I am a full-time working mother.

The creche she is in is small and homey and she loves being there. She loves her teacher, but she is to move from the " little"  class to the " big"  class when she turns three.

This year I have to decide whether to leave her in the creche until she is older, or to move her to the pre-primary section of the private school we want her to go to. We' re told that if we delay her entry to that school she doesn' t loose her place on the waiting list.

She has a happy and united home and friends and her teachers reinforce my belief that she is outgoing, well-adjusted and happy. I believe that her being at a school she enjoys, and which is familiar is part of this, but she is going to have to move sometime. My question is, can you give me any pointers to help me (us) decide whether to keep her at the current creche, or move her?

Not a psychiatric issue, so lets see what other parents thing --- and try the parenting forum, too

Posted by: Me | 2009-02-06

I had the same issue as you. I enroled my son at a private school and they put him on the waiting list. He turned 3 in the beginning of Jan and they phoned just after the school opened to let me know that they have an opening. I was also unsure whether I must do it.
In the end I took him to the new school and it was the best decision ever. He is so happy. They do allot of different stuff during the day and I can now see that he was a bit bored at the other school.
The reason I decided to move him:
- Maybe next year they wont have space for him.
- They usually start making friends at 3. So what if he makes a great friend and then I move him.
- At the previous school the teachers didnt really have the education that the current schools teachers have.

Reply to Me
Posted by: A mother too | 2009-02-06

I think you should move her to the other school when she is 4 at the latest. She will surely need the stimulation that she will get at pre school by the age of 4. My two daughters certainly did at that age....

Reply to A mother too