Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2012-04-26

Should I tell new boyfriend about HPV?

Hi doc,

Please help me as I don t know how to handle this situation. About a year ago I was diagnosed with low strain HPV. The warts were removed and it has never returned. I have recently met a new boyfriend and I am struggling to decide if I should tell him about the HPV. Two doctors have advised me not to tell him since HPV is very common, transmission is very unlikely with no visible warts and I don''''t carry a high risk strain of the virus so should he contract it from me there would be no health danger. Please can you shed some light on this?

There is always a risk - keep in mind the warts may be gone, but HPV does not really go away. It can flare up again. HPV is common - so is HIV. Would you tell if it was HIV? It is always your choice to tell or not to tell you have a right to confidentiality. You also have an obligation not to harm. It is however ethical to tell - especially if there is a risk for him. The question is: How would you feel if he did not tell you about his infections and suddenly you were diagnosed with some or other disease. Deidre - SASHA

2
Posted by: Woman | 2012-04-26

YES!!!

Reply to Woman
Posted by: sexologist | 2012-04-26

Reply to sexologist