Posted by: Working Girl | 2009-05-12

Should I tell my boss

This might come across as a silly question but I have no qualifications for the job I am in. I am thinking of doing a course through Intec that will help me benefit more and to understand exactly what is going on in the company. I want to pay for this course out of my own pocket. Should I tell my manager that I would like to enroll on this course or should I discuss this with her first and see what she says. I' ve been here 3 years and I just feel like I am not getting enough stimulation where I am and I don' t always fully understand what goes on this company. I want to be able to use my own initiative and not sit back and take orders like a PA. I know I' m not my own boss but I want to be proactive when it comes to decision -making and to work forward that will benefit the company as well. Anyone out there with advice please. The course I am choosing is the right one for the job I am in.

There are few silly questions, and only occasional silly answers. I'm sure other good, working readers will respond tomorrow when they return to their computers. Why not discuss this with your manager first ? They're presumably content with the quality of your work, which is why you hold the job --- but it may be some other course would be better suited to preparing you for eventual promotion. And the company gets tax breaks for providing staff training, so they might be able to help with or even cover the costs. IF you phrase it tactfully, and speak of wanting "even more stimulation" and challende, and more opportunity to use your initiative" that should sound impressive. Maybe there's an HR person you could discuss this with first, who could advise on possibilities within the company.
And as I complete typing this answer, I check and find Liza has already given the same excellent answer.

Posted by: Your_Invisible_Friend | 2009-05-12

I think its great that you want to further your education!! Not only will it benefit your pocket but also your sense of self-worth / confidence in the long-run.

I too agree with Lisa, sometimes employers don' t encourage their employees to better their education in the fear that upon ' graduation'  the employee will expect a salary increase or seek better opportunities in another company.

Do you really need the consent or funding from your company?
If taking the course does not impact negatively on your work productivity and you can afford the costs yourself, what is stopping you?

Seeing as you ultimately will bear the risks and sacrifices of studying further you should do your homework first and make sure your investments will be returned on all levels.

The rest will all fall into place.
Happy studying!

Reply to Your_Invisible_Friend
Posted by: Liza | 2009-05-12

Firstly - I have my doubts about studying at Intec. I havent heard many good things about them. But if you' ve done your homework, you' ll definitely be better informed than me.

If you have a positive relationship with your manager, why not chat to her about the company paying for the course instead? Most companies are very willing to pay for training their staff (all the tax benefits).

If your relationship with your manager is not good, go at it alone and leave her out of it. Especially if she' s not interested in your career being advanced, or even might feel threatened by you if you' re qualified. With your eventual qualification and the experience you are now getting - you' ll be able to advance in the company, or at least find a better job.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza