Question
Posted by: Leana du Plessis | 2012-08-30

Should I take 16month old to Mozambique with the dangers of Malaria.

Good day.

We want to go to Mozambique on from the 21st to 24th of September 2012.
I phoned my pharmacy, GP, pediatrician, and our Travel Clinic.
Everybody told me a different story.
1. Take Malinol, Spray the room with Doom, Some bangle you put around his ancle and use Tabbard or Peaceful Sleep.
2. Do not take the Malinol as it causes heavy side effects like stomach aches, vommiting, ect. But do spray with Peacefull sleep.
3. My pediatrician reccomends not to take children under the age of 5 in to a malaria infected area at all.
4. My GP told me to that it should be fine taking all the precautions.

Please give me some advice on this matter. I am really scared to take my child over but if you tell me that it would be fine and what I can do to prevent it we can still go.

Leana

I suggest that you do not take your 16 month old baby to a malaria infected area. You can take precautions but they are always successful. Malaria is deadly in small children and if it was my child, I will not take the risk.

4

Safe for 4 year old

Posted by: No | 2012-09-03

There is NO proof that homeopathic medicine can stop malaria just check out the actual government websites and travel clinic advice etc. Do NOT go for this option before getting your pediatricians approval.

Reply to No
Posted by: Natural is best | 2012-08-30

A friend with 2 small kids referred me to a homeopathic Anti-malaria treatment, which she has and still uses for years whe travelling to Mozambique. My whole family took it when we went to Moz in May 2012 and it is so pleasant and much better than the harsh medicines with decreasing effectiveness and horrible side effects (depression, nausea, etc.) - we are all fine. Contact homeopath Helen Diddcot in Jhb on 011 486 4218. You definately must take all the preventative stuff as well (sprays, creams, coils, nets, citronella candles, plus long sleeves and pants at night).
Have a great trip.

Reply to Natural is best
Posted by: Magrie | 2012-08-30

My daughter was about the same age when we went to Mozambique the first time. The Malinol does cause nausea but I would rather deal with that than malaria.
Take Peaceful sleep, coils, netting with.
We actually took Aquis cream (sorry for the spelling) and mixed Cetronella oil into it. No insect will come close. Just as long as you take the necesarry precautions all should be fine. You are not going very long either.

Enjoy!

Reply to Magrie