Question
Posted by: Eve | 2011/10/05

Should I spay

Good Morning
I have two male dogs the one is a 9 month old Lab and the other is a 7 year old St Bernard.
They are beautiful boys and they have been getting along until now. My st bernard has decided he wants to get on top of the labby and do the deed. Now i dont find this normal as i have never seen this before. My lab has become somewhat scared but still goes and tries to play with the st bernard. Is this behaviour normal and do i have to spay one of them since they both males?
Thank-you

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Eve, nice to hear from you and the reason why this behaviour is happening now is that both dogs are at the adolescent age where sex and hierarchy become important to them.

Personally, I would sterilize both dogs immediately. At this age it can take between 6 weeks to 3 months for the testerone levels to drop completely as the majority of male dogs have the highest testerone levels at about 8 months. this is often when fighting etc will start.

Additionally, sterilizing them should ensure a happier relationship between them and they will not be a threat to other dogs as they smell differently. It will prevent 'marking' from happening and you will be cutting down on the possibility of prostrate and testicular cancers etc. I really do believe that unless you are a 'professional' breeder that it is only responsible ownership to sterilize. 'Mistakes' do happen and the dogs will be a lot happier and less frustrated and bond more with you. Hope this helps, thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: scotty | 2011/10/12

Hi Des, sorry your question came in under another question. Most definately I would suggest having them both sterilized. Unless you are a professional breeder, all dogs should be sterilized. Not only will this stop any unwanted pregancies, it will cut down on the possibility of marking behaviour, a host of physical related problems, dogs wandering, lessen their frustration at not being able to do what comes naturally and build a better bond between dog and owner. thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Desiree Johnson | 2011/10/09

I have a 3 month old female golden retriever and a 6 month old male german shepherd.He wants to mate with the female.I do not want them to mate as we just want 2 dogs.Please give advice.
Des

Reply to Desiree Johnson
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert