Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2010/02/08

Should I seek counciling for my kids

My children and I were pushed off the road and the perpertrator then blocked us from moving forward, got out of his car and pulled a gun on us. Thankfully I managed to reverse away while he stood there with the gun pointed right at us. I had my 2 children in the car with me (6 &  2) the little one doesn' t seem to have noticed what happend but my 6 year old keeps telling me to tell the story to everyone we come across. He has also started to add his own things onto what happen, making it sound like an action movie scene, do you think we need to speak to someone or is this a normal reaction to this traumatic event - please help

A little one might not notice, or might not understand the significance of what happened. But a kid of 6 would understand. COnverting it into an exciting action movie scene might be his way of coping. This sounds like a fairly normal way of coping, espeially if he is otherwise well, sleeping and eating well, etc. IF he should become more obviously upset ( such disturbances can arises quite a time later ) then he might benefit from seeing a child shrink

1