Question
Posted by: C E | 2011/05/16

Should i see a cardiologist?

Hi.
I am just wondering if I should go and see a cardiologist. I am a 32 year old female, type 1 diabetic, with a family history of heart disease (heart attacks and strokes). I am generally well, try to excersise regularly and spend my time running around after very enegertic under 5 year olds! When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I was admitted for prem labour, and one of the issues that came up often was that of being (a bit) tachycardic. I have always had a relatively low to very normal blood pressure. However, in recent months I have had a feeling of being unwell. Shortness of breath and what I would describe as a chest pain - which feels more like and incredible pressure that sometimes goes down my arms and tingles in my fingers. I sometimes feel as if i cannot inhale a full breath of air and end up with a fellingof immense pressure and a type of feeling of a pulled muscle in my chest area, and then am left with a horrible feeling of weakness and a headche. This happens randomly and has been going on for a while and I have just being ignoring it. I did go to the GP last week and had a raised BP (155/88) - which in itself is not serious, but is rather high for me. Also my pulse rate was 106 (if I remeber correctly). ALso had a sugar low which got the medics (ambulance) out and there was elevated blood pressure and increased pulse rate (which could be explained away by having a low sugar episode). Would I be paranoid if I had it checked out more thoroughly - I am the moum of 2 beautifull girls and given our family history am starting to wonder if I have a valid reason to be a slight mbit concerned?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi CE

As a young woman of 32 it is very unlikely you have heart trouble, despite your diabetes and family history, and your symptoms do not sound like those of heart disease. They sound instead as if they may be stress related - do you think that might be the case?

Nevertheless for your peace of mind I would see a sympathetic physician or cardiologist - preferably female - who can listen to your story and put your mind at rest. I strongly suspect your heart will get a clean bill of health.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/05/20

Hi CE

Reply to Cardiologist