Question
Posted by: Zoey | 2009/11/10

Should I re-test?

Dear Dietdoc.

I went to see a dietician about 5 years ago - they discovered that my insulin levels where very high and told me that I' m pre-diabetic. I was placed on a low GI diet, but only sticked to it for a month.

I decided in September this year that it' s time for me to change my life! I started with the same diet on 01 Sept and have managed to loose 17kgs to date (started on 119Kgs).

It' s clear to see that the diet is working! - I just want to know if there should be any reason for me to be re-tested and see a dietician again or should I just continue with the same diet?

Thanks for your help.

Dear Zoey
You are a bright shining ***star*** for having lost 17 kg within 2 months and this with a sensible low-GI, low-fat diet. I would recommend that you do consult your dietitian again because it is a long time ago that you were tested and you may require additional assistance such as Glucophage, etc. Let the dietitian assess your condition and diet just to be on the safe side. Keep up the diet and when you are more mobile start doing daily exercise like going for a walk for 30 min a day. This is very beneficial for weightloss and helps to normalise your insulin levels.
Well done!

2
Posted by: John | 2009/11/10

Congrads! it is very good! 17 kg! very good.
Yes, for yourself, go for re-test for your diabetes.

Reply to John

Dear Zoey
Well done!