Question
Posted by: Siphesihle | 2010/04/30

Should I let my employer know i''m looking for a job?

2 weeks ago I was on sick for 3 days and when I got back my manager called to his office and told me that I must not be surprised if my name is on second list of people who will retrenched. The thing the company is in very bad financial state and everytime you not in the office, the only thing they think is that you''ve gone for an interview.

Well after I got the news I told myself you know what, let me look for a job. i did that and today I got a call from this company and they were so interested so they asked if they can contact my employer and I said sure you can. So this woman promised to call me back after calling my references and she hasn''t called. Now I''m just wondering what did he say about me?
Should I call this woman or wait for her call?

If the company is experiencing severe financial problems, has already retrenched some people and has announced they are preparing a second list - they must surely know that ALL employees would be sensible to be looking for alternative jobs - and indeed, people who find a good job will save the company the unpleasantness of retrenching someone else.
There is no possible ground for them to object to your seeking other jobs, or going for interviews. They should not pealize anyone in any way for doing so.
Otherwise, I agree with maria

3
Posted by: MMM | 2010/05/08

i think that it would be wise if you call this woman and find out if she has contacted your employer or not, and if she has, then ask her if you got the job, and if not, then ask her the reason. At least then you will know what your current employer said about you. If he labelled you in a bad way and you feel that you are not bad, then you must confront him about it as this is unfair especially now that the company is in a financial crisis and is already retrenching staff.

Reply to MMM
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/30

Did you have a doctor''s certificate? Do you often go on sick leave? Is there any other reason why your employer would want to retrench you, specifically?

Well if the woman called your employer then he already knows you''re looking for another job. If you hear nothing from her for a couple of days then I would say call her, hopefully she will be honest with you about why you didn''t get the job if that should be the case.

Reply to Maria

Otherwise, I agree with maria