Question
Posted by: Pauline O' Connor | 2009-09-05

Should I get my weight loss checked out.

I' m 5' 6' ' , have an underactive thyroid and high cholesterol 6.3, age 55 and my Dr told me to lower the cholesterol level as I am high risk of heart disease. I started the Mediterrian diet May 09, eating about 2,000 plus calories a day, felt great, more energy. My arthritis improved by 50-70%. I was 9st 3lbs, now I am a skinny 8st and have lost all my lovely curves. I cannot go back to my old diet, I do not wish go back to feeling lethargic and worried about heart disease. I make my own calorie laden healthy snacks but still no joy. Is weight loss normal on such a healthy diet with adequate calories or do I need to see my Dr.

Dear Pauline
If you have been eating 2000 cal per day you should not be losing weight unless this was a significant decrease compared to what you were eating before. If you were, for example eating 2500 cal/day before changing to the Med diet, then this would account for the loss. However, if this weightloss is unexplained, then you must return to your dr for a checkup just to ensure that there is no underlying negative cause for the weightloss.