Question
Posted by: Beastly | 2011-09-06

Should I get another pup?

It''s me again, the guy with the very naughty pug pup that chews and bites all the time. I''ve since sent him to puppy obedience classes and he is doing fairly well.

He will be back home this week :) However i''m a bit concerned that when he comes back home he will get very bored. At the moment he has had a lot of puppy socialization in his classes and has quite some time to play with other pups when he is not training.

My question is, should I get another pup to give him company and play friend when he is back home? There is someone at home during the day but he is not played with but left to do whatever he likes during the day. He is then left alone for about 5 hours in the afternoon.

Will getting a new pup help him stay calm all the time or will it negatively affect his behavior seeing that he will be alone with the pup for a few hours each day?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Beastly, what I would suggest is to spend a day with the people that are training him so that you can learn all that you need too in order to keep the situation under control. Often people will send their dogs away for training, but neglect to learn what to do themselves!

Many dogs are 'only' dogs and as long as they receive mental and physical stimulation as well as weekly socialization/training classes, do very well by themselves. the problem with getting in another pup before the behaviour has been sorted out, is that you will then end up with two dogs being impossible! What you need to do is sort out the problems with your little one first and then when the pup is about 7/8 months old, then investigate getting another pup. When you are ready for this, do contact me and i will give you some tips on breed, what to look for, sex of dog etc.

What I would suggest you do is to give two walks daily (even if short), one in the morning before you go to work (a tired dog is a good dog!) and another in the early evening when you come home.

Ensure that the pup has plenty of 'legal' objects to keep him occupied. There is an article on Toys in the puppy section of my website as well as free downloads of excellant books which will help. These toys are easy to put together, provide hours of entertainment (read the 50 Ways with Kongs) and will keep the little one busy.

Keep in place the House Rules that the school will show you and then see how it goes. Good luck thanks Scotty (www.firendsofthedog.co.za) for the articles and free books.

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-09-06

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert