Question
Posted by: Katerasie | 2008/07/07

Should I get a cat?

I live alone and am seriously sick of it.. anyhow that's just how life is. So until the day I meet a man, I am thinking about getting a cat for company and love. AAAAAhhhh never thought it would be like this - 39 unmarried with a cat (potentially) - old maid ;-)

I live in a flat so can't get a dog - a cat is the answer right?

..................

I'm not an old maid, and I have found a cat to be a marvellous supplement to the richness of life. Treat them well and they can be marvellously comforting and affectionate ; while more independent than a dog. As Maria says, unless you're allergic to cats ( as some people are ) or have a peculiar life-style or work pattern that would leave it desertewd for extended periods, its a wonderful companion

5
Posted by: Britty | 2008/07/08

Cats are better than dogs in flats and they are such great companions in that they make you feel good and there is always someone waiting when you walk through your flat door. Do you yourself a favour and make sure it is neutered as that seems to make them more home loving than unneutered cats. Nothing better on a cold and wet winter's night than curling up with a cat!

Reply to Britty
Posted by: C | 2008/07/08

Hi! A cat is a mervellous idea! In fact, 2 would be better so that you need not feel guilty if you do have to leave them alone from time to time. I have 5 cats and I also live alone (well, except for my my son) and I adore my cats. Even nicer is that 4 of my cats were either strays or removed from abusive homes. Do not think for one moment that getting a cat as an adult will mean it is any less affectionate - the cats I got when they were adults are more affectionate than the 1 cat I chose as a kitten! I have 1 boy and 4 girls, all sterilised. 1 from Alberton SPCA, previously abused, 1 from Benoni SPCA, was a stray, 1 is a feral cat I rescued from being killed when she was 5 weeks old, my male was picked up from Rand Water after being dumped and the one, as I said, I chose as a kitten. They are the best pets ever. I can compare as I also have 2 dogs - and cats are by far the best! :-) Good luck!!

Reply to C
Posted by: Katerasie | 2008/07/08

Thanks everyone, maybe if I get a cat the man will follow..... ... I'm not allergic, and have a stable lifestyle....

Reply to Katerasie
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/07

The only reasons I can see for NOT having a cat is being allergic, or travelling a lot with nobody to look after kitty! I got a cat in my 30's... the husband followed a few years later, hehe.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Jenny (aka Nadine) | 2008/07/07

Of course a cat's the answer, even CS will agree with me. They are so adorable and cuddly. My cat touches my face with his paw and then I have to open the blanket so he can crawl in and lie next to me. He only does this in the winter and I can eat him alive he's so cute. Hmmmm, I also don't want people to think I'm an old maid but I do have a husband.

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)