Question
Posted by: Claire | 2010/04/13

Should I force myself?

Hi doc, there are some nights (well actually most nights) where I am just too tired to exercise. I do 30 minutes throughout the day but I know my body and I know that 30 minutes isn''t enough to keep me from gaining weight. I do suffer from low iron and I take a multivitamin high in iron. Now when I''m too tired to exercise, should I force myself to exercise?

Hi Claire

Don't force it, but also understand that if you don't have some level of discipline, you'll feel tired most days! I think if you have low iron, and know this, you have to start by treating that problem, and then also work gradaully towards getting more exercise in the afternoons. If you're training smartly, you might be tired, but you'll feel better after training. It helps to energize you, so to some extent, "forcing" it does help.

However, if there is a problem like iron, or a very stressful job, then it's OK not force it, but rather to work towards building up the fitness levels. You might for example start at 10min per day, and see how it goes, then increase it until you hit 30.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Hi Claire

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: C | 2010/04/14

If you don''t mind, I would like to comment on your question. I force myself to exercise when I feel too tired or just lazy. I tell myself that I''m going to start with at least 10 mins of exercise and if I still don''t feel like doing it, I will stop. Usually, however, after 10 mins, I am energized and feeling real good about putting in the effort and I then continue for at least another 20-30 mins. I exercise at least an hour a day for 5/6 days of the week and then I make sure to take 1/2 rest days. When I skip one night, the feeling of guilt the next day is much worse than the tired feeling I had the night before.

Reply to C