Question
Posted by: Cat | 2010/07/01

Should I ditch Wellbutrin?

I''ve been on Effexor for years for depression, but changed to Wellbutrin to get rid of the side-effects, especially being anorgasmic. Effexor worked well to get rid of the depression, but Wellbutrin isn''t so effective. I''m still antisocial, depressed about the state of the world and how evil and selfish people are - especially with their cruel treatment of animals. I''m not productive or inspired enough at work, and I hate feeling like that. I''m not really very active sexually - I have one sporadic partner who comes over when I need him, and being on Wellbutrin really improved things on that level. My question to you is: should I go back on Effexor and go back being a happy but boring lover, since I''m not in a permanent relationship? What''s the use of being orgasmic with a high libido if I''m still desperately unhappy about life?

I also don''t want to be on antidepressants for life. What if I''m on pension one day and can''t afford antidepressants any more? Why the hell do I have to drink a pill to be happy?

Obiously this is something that needs to be primarily discussed with your prescribing shrink. Wellbutrin is a relatively odd AD, and does indeed seem to have a much lower rate of sexual side-efects than most of the others, though as an antidepressant, I expect it would have the same roughly 70 % success rate of the others. While most of the others can also knock libido, etc., none of them do this in everyone, so your shrink should review your history of all the ADs you've tried before, how they rate for the depression and in sexual and other side-effects, and select one that might have a good chance of being more of what you want in each area.
It's unfortunate if one needs to make a choice, but then for most of us being not depressed, even if more sexually dormant, is pobably what most would choose. And considering how many people are depressed and sexually muted by the depression, maybe that's not the worst deal around.
More than a few of us do need long-term medication to remain as stable as possible. As in many other aspects of life, we often need to settle for an arrangement that is beytter than most of its alternatives, even if it falls short of what we would most wish for.

2
Posted by: Cat | 2010/07/05

Thanks for the reply. I''m now trying a higher dosage of Wellbutrin - I was on the lowest one. Doing this for a month, then back to the doctor.

Reply to Cat