Question
Posted by: nicci | 2011/11/16

should i confront my boss

One of our managers left without notice and 80% of his job was transferred to me. No so long he offered me another position but within the same band whilst the managers position is a higher band. We just concluded my perfomance appraisal and no complaints were raised. However i was shocked to be informed by a colleaque the the position had been advertised but my manager has not said a word to me about it. Everyone is persuading me to apply for it. Should i confront him about it or should i just send my CV and keep quiet about this.

Please forget the word "confront" which is rarely useful, and too often provokes conflict and aggression, where polite assertiveness usually works much better.
Is there an HR person or dept with whom you could discuss this ? It sounds irregular, but maybe a police but firm discussion would be more useful. Upi could say, if this is indeed the case, that after X left, 80 % of his work was transferred to you, and you have been doing the extra work, without promotion or extra pay. You feel this shows that you are qualified for the post, and you feel upset that it has apparently been advertised without you even being told or enabled to apply for it. Ask if there are any reasons why they might not want you to apply for and get the job.
DO apply and send in your CV, making sure it is up-dated so as to reflect the time you spend acting up, without extra pay, in a position that involved doing 80 & of that job, apparently satisfactorily. If there is some mysterious prejudice, do at least apply properly and make them consider you, rather than rejecting yourself on their behalf !

1